I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! I know I sure did, as it is one of my very favorite holidays! What could be better than time spent with family, giving thanks to the Lord for all the good things He has done, all while cooking and enjoying great food!?!
I thought I would share a quick recap on my Thanksgiving with all of you! We spent the day at my moms house cooking up a storm and enjoying time together! My Aunt Lorrie and I both love to cook, so we were preparing the food while everyone else spent time talking and watching the game.
Here is a glimpse at the final product! Most of it was Dashing Dish recipes of course! :) We had turkey, sweet potato casserole, roasted vegetables, stuffing, mashed cauliflower, cranberry sauce, baked mac & cheese, corn muffins, and gravy!
As great as the food always is though, the best part of the day was being with family!
For dessert I made my pumpkin gingerbread trifle, always a crowd pleaser, and one of my faves!
After the meal we all talked about what we were thankful for, which is always such a special time! Then we relaxed, played games, and enjoyed each others company! Now, time to prepare for Christmas! I can’t believe it is already less than 3 weeks away! I hope you are all enjoying this special time of year as we reflect on God’s great love for us, that He sent His only Son, so we could be called His children!
When my husband and I originally came up with the name Dashing Dish, we did so with the intention of offering catering, alongside my website and ministry. Come to find out, God had different plans. It’s amazing how He always brings things full circle. Little did we know, the name ‘Dashing’ would one day relate to grocery delivery of a different kind.
God recently put it on our hearts to put the ‘Dashing’ into Dashing Dish by delivery groceries and grocery gift cards to people in need. We are sharing this with you today, because if you have supported Dashing Dish you are also a part of this ministry. We want to thank you from the bottom of our hearts for being a part of Dashing Dish. We truly believe that God has bigger plans for this ministry than we could have ever imagined and this is just the beginning.
Because it’s the holidays we want to start this ministry off with a bang. We feel there is no greater time to show God’s love than this time of year. For that reason, we are selling Dashing Dish shirts to support this cause.
Click the pic above to order your Dashing Dish t-shirt and 100% of the proceeds will go to support this Dashing Delivery ministry. Thank you so much for all of your support, donations, and prayers. Because of YOU, people are finding God’s love in a tangible way.
If you would like to hear more about this ministry, watch this short video:
Psalm 139: 13-18
For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place,
when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw my unformed body;
all the days ordained for me were written in your book
before one of them came to be.
How precious to me are your thoughts,God!
How vast is the sum of them!
Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand—
when I awake, I am still with you.
Here are some ideas for some delicious (and secretly nutritious) appetizers, sides, and desserts for the biggest meal of the year!
First Let’s Start with Some Favorites from Previous Years:
Now Let’s Talk New Additions:
My sweet friend Michelle Meyers recently designed and started her own workout clothing line that is both fashionable, and meaningful! She started the line after shopping for workout tees that described the reasons why people worked out. She soon realized none of them focused on honoring God with our bodies! Thats when she decided to create her own line called Cross Training Couture!
The best part!?! Michelle is offering a workout top of choice to one lucky Dashing Dish reader!
There are 2 ways to enter (each counts as a separate entry):
1. Visit Cross Training Couture and leave a comment below sharing what your favorite workout top is and why.
2. Share this giveaway on Facebook or Twitter and comment back here stating that you did.
I will announce the winner on Monday November 18th. Good luck!!!
The holidays are a special time of year filled with family, friends, and seasonal treats. Here are a few tips on enjoying the holidays in a balanced way!
1. Choose a Healthy Alternative- Eating healthy year round, (yes even during the holidays) can be done! It doesn’t mean giving up the foods you enjoy most, but simply swapping them with a healthier alternative! In fact, once you do so, you will notice how good you feel, and I can promise you will wonder why you ever even enjoyed those sugary treats to begin with!
2. Pick and Choose your Treats- The holidays are filled with special treats that only come around this season. There is nothing wrong with enjoying one or two of your grandma’s favorite cookies, or a piece of your mom’s famous pie…But the problem comes when people enjoy every holiday treat that is put in front of them. If you simply think ahead of time about what you REALLY want to enjoy this holiday season, it will keep you from having to work extra hard to take off those holiday treats in January! Plus, the added bonus is that you will truly savor and enjoy every bite of those holiday treats you do have much more when you only have a few of them!
3. Be Prepared- One way to prevent overeating is by eating small frequent meals throughout the day, and always having a protein rich snack before heading off to parties or holiday dinners. That way, when you finally sit down to eat a meal, you will be able to properly pay attention to your body’s hunger cues because you won’t be overly famished to begin with.
4. The party is about MORE than what is on your PLATE- Food is an element of a celebration, but not the defining factor, or the most important thing. If you keep this in mind when you’re on your way to a party, you can remind yourself that spending time with family and friends is the highlight of the event. This helps take the focus off the food and puts it back on the things that matter most.
5. It’s OK to say NO- During the holidays, many people are offering foods left and right as a gesture of love. I have learned that If I’m truly full, it is ok to be honest and politely say, “No thank you”. Most people will respect you when you politely say no. The great thing about this is, it allows you to say yes to the things you truly do enjoy this time of year!
6. BRING your OWN dish to pass- If you bring your own dish to pass, you can bring something that is tasty and healthy! The best part is, Dashing Dish offers tons of seasonal eats that are just as rich and delicious as the traditional dish, so no one will even know its healthy until you tell them!
7. Learn to Bounce Back- I find that one of the greatest downfalls when it comes to overeating is that it sets most people on a dangerous slippery slope. If you do overeat- don’t make that mistake! Remember, it is not one meal that will make you unhealthy so don’t let it get you in a defeated mindset! Just make the simple choice to bounce back. Start the next day by being active and make the choice to get right back on track with a healthy lifestyle! That is what balance is all about after all!
I’ve been so inspired by all the emails about people losing weight with Dashing Dish recipes and getting their mind renewed by my devotionals that I’ve decided it’s time to get everyone involved! Starting November 1st, I want to challenge my readers during one of the busiest seasons of the year to eat healthy and grow spiritually. The challenge will go for 21 days (ends on November 21st) and hopefully will last a lifetime (statistics prove it takes 21 days to form a habit).
What do you get in return you ask? Besides you and your family getting healthier, saving money (by eating more meals at home), and growing spiritually… the winner of the challenge will receive a $500 Visa Gift Card (perfect for Christmas shopping ~ How is that for motivation!?!)
The best part is that I’ve made it easy to enter…and in doing so you will motivate and encourage others who are also doing the challenge! (Be sure to post testimonies as well!!!)
Here’s how to enter: every time you make a Dashing Dish recipe, journal (SOAP), or workout using a Dashing Dish workout during the 21 days, tag @DashingDish and you will be entered for a chance to win.
There are 3 ways to share: either tag/mention @DashingDish or on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. You can also hashtag Dashing Dish (#DashingDish). Each time you share, it counts as an entry and increases your chance to win! (There will be a limit to 6 entries per person per day!)
Download the Free 21 Day Challenge Guide Here. Remember! The 21 Day Challenge Begins November 1st and Ends – November 21st! Have fun!
(Please note – this Challenge may not be suitable for everyone. Please check with your doctor before beginning any program or exercise routine.)
1. Don’t be Fooled: Just because a label says ‘fun size‘ on it, doesn’t mean that it comes with a miniature amount of calories and sugar! For example, just one ‘fun size‘ Butterfingers bar has 100 calories and 10 grams of sugar! Almost all of the most popular ‘fun size’ candy bars have between 80-110 calories and 8-15 grams of sugar each!
2. Get Rid of Temptation: If temptation comes at you in the form of a little orange, brown, or yellow packet, (yeah…you know what I’m talking about), there is one simple way to put an end to the ‘drawing in’ of a sweet little treat. How do we get rid of temptation once and for all? Get it out of the house, off of your desk at work, or wherever candy may haunting you. If your kids just went trick or treating, you can allow them to choose a few of their favorites, then get rid of the rest. You could either donate it, give it away, or simply toss it! It’s simple: If you don’t have it around then you (and your kids…who also don’t need the sugar) won’t be tempted by it!
3. Swap Out Your Favorites: If you simply must have a Peanut Butter Cup, then simply swap it out for a healthier alternative! That is truly what Dashing Dish is all about…Not giving up your favorite foods and treats, but rather swapping them out for alternatives that are just as tasty (and don’t send you into a sugar slump!) Speaking of… I have a healthy PB cup recipe coming next week!
4. Don’t Buy Candy to Give Away: Going back to point #2, if you have candy in the house to ‘give away’ you most likely will be tempted by it. In addition, do you really want to add to the bag of ‘junk’ that those cute little kids are carting around!?! Instead, get creative, give non-edible ‘treats’ such as pencils or erasers (hey, it may sound lame to you, but my sister who is a 3rd grade teachers says those things go like hot cakes in her goody bin!) Or you could give away a healthier treat, such as 100% fruit leathers.
5. Bring Treats to Pass at Parties: It’s that time of year…From now until January 1st there will be holiday party galore!!! Parties are comprised of three main things: fun, socializing, and FOOD! There is no way around it, holiday parties often bombard you with all sorts of treats that look oh so tasty! The best way to deal with the ever present temptation from Trick or Treat to Happy New Year!?! Bring your own dish to pass! It really is that simple. I bring a dish, a dessert, or sometimes both to every party I go to, so that way I know there is going to be a healthy option for myself and friends to enjoy! This is one of the most simple ways to combat the all too common holiday weight gain. (With that, I must say, I personally always enjoy a few of my very favorite (full fat-full sugar) treats during the holidays, but I keep it to a reasonable portion, and when I do, I make sure I truly enjoy every bite!)
I am so thankful and blessed to share this post with you guys today! After four years of marriage, my husband and I finally can say we have a place called ‘our home’! I say this with such thankfulness because my husband and I truly did pray and save for our home, waiting on the right timing that God had for us, and boy was it worth the wait! :)
It took one year to build this home, and the best part is, I am across the street from my sister, (and only 20 minutes from my other sister and parents!) I hope you enjoy the tour!!!
I got my 3 custom signs from this Etsy seller! I really wanted a few signs that had scripture, and were meaningful throughout the home. I truly believe this is what takes it from a ‘house’ to a ‘home’. This is our Entry Way area. I got most of my decor from Home Goods!
Here is our Dining Room. I am thankful to say that we have already had lots of friends and family around this table! :)
Here is the Heart of the Home (in my opinion)….The Kitchen! :)
The area between the Kitchen and Family Room has a small breakfast table.
It also has cabinets along the wall, which is where I store my dishes and Dashing Dish props!
Most of my really ‘fun’ props are from my mom, who used to collect antiques!
Here is the Sunroom, which is where I take pictures for Dashing Dish, and where I read my bible and work!
I store my napkins for pictures on this cute little ladder I also got from Etsy!
And of course I had to have a place where I could hang my aprons! :) I got them from Anthropologie.
This sign from Etsy is probably one of my favorite things in our home!
Here is my desk where I write recipes, answer emails, and write devos!
And here is My Hubby’s Office! (He works from home as well, he is a graphic designer!)
And here is our Family Room (it is someones favorite room in the house!) :)
Most of this decor is from Home Goods, my mom, or from the Pottery Barn Outlet, (which is awesome~ it’s all PB stuff for almost half off!!!)
Now for the Upstairs….
Here is Our Bedroom!
My Vanity, which is where I blow dry my massive hair! ;) (It takes me almost an hour to blow dry!)
I love this Love Scripture Sign…It has reminded me many times what true love really is!
Here is our Master Bath.
And our Master Closet, (which I must mention my husband built the custom shelves!) :) The baskets are from Target.
Here is the Guest Bedroom, which is filled with our old bedroom furniture from our apartment.
And the Laundry Room…All sorts of FUN happens here! ;)
Last but not least…Here is our Patio! We plan to get patio furniture and chairs for the campfire next year. (Thanks to Dave Ramsey…We Save Save Save and pay with cash before we buy anything! Sometimes it can be hard to wait, but it truly is freeing!)
Our Patio was built by my brother in-law’s company Brickscape! They Rocked It!
I hope you enjoyed the tour! My husband and I are truly giving thanks to the Lord! We stood on God’s promises specifically for this home, and every day we spend in it is a testament to His faithfulness! Our greatest desire is that everyone that enters our home will feel the presence and love of God!!!
We sure are thankful He is letting us ‘borrow’ it for a while, after all…Everything is His! :)