“For unto us a Child is born,
Unto us a Son is given;
And the government will be upon His shoulder.
And His name will be called
Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” ~Isaiah 9:6
It’s almost Christmas time, which can be a time of great joy for many, but also a time of stress, sadness, and loneliness for others. There are so many things that can steal our peace and joy this time of year, or any time of year if we let it. But this season can be particularly challenging for some.
Despite all circumstances however…Yes, ALL circumstances, do you know that you can have true peace and joy?
No, I’m not talking about a temporary happy feeling that comes and goes as circumstances change. In fact, I am not even talking about an emotional state of being. I am talking about a deep rooted, stable, never changing peace. A peace that causes you to sing with joy from the very core of your being, even when the world looks like it is crashing down all around you.
Now, let me stop there and share that I, just like everyone else have been through some really tough times in my life. Things that could and should of crushed me…and If you are living on this earth, I can guarantee you have (or will) go through some hard times as well. But, let me tell you something. I can honestly say that through it all, I have found a peace that has carried me through each and every storm.
Sure, I have shed many tears along the way, and had any ‘normal’ emotion that anyone would feel, but through it all, I have found the one thing that is deeper than any emotion or circumstance. His name is Jesus, the Prince of Peace.
I will never forget the night that I discovered this peace for myself. I had been saved for many years, but still found myself going through emotional highs and lows, especially during the hard times. Until one night- I had a revelation that impacted my life in a deep way.
I remember it like it was yesterday- I was going through a particularly hard season in my life. I was laying in bed with tears streaming down my face. As I wept, I leaned over to reach for my bible, seeking out a comforting word from the Lord. I will never forget the words that I read that night, and how it changed my life from that moment on. My eyes landed on Isaiah 9:6, which says, For unto us a Child is born,unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
I am sure that I had read that passage of scripture hundreds of times before, but that particular night, the Lord spoke that verse to my heart in a very real way. I wiped the tears from my eyes, and found myself with an overwhelming sense of peace and joy in my heart. I found myself singing praises throughout the day for weeks to come. (Now, it’s important to add that my circumstances did not yet change during this time, although they eventually did thanks to God’s Faithfulness.) But, even in the midst of this storm, I had found a deep peace that carried me through.
I love this verse in Isaiah, because it foretells the Savior of the world, Jesus, coming to earth, and what He would come to bring to the world. It describes the meaning of His name in detail, from Wonderful Counselor, meaning we can go to Him with any problem we face, any time…and He cares! Not only does He care, but He wants to counsel us and gently guiding us through each situation as we turn to Him. To Mighty God and Everlasting Father, which says to me that He is both strong and mighty to deliver and save, but also a provider, protector, and deeply in love with each one of us- His children. And last but not least, one of the greatest names of all- Prince of Peace.
That was one of the most powerful lessons the Lord has taught me so far in my walk with Him. I truly can say now that I understand what it means when the bible says that He can give us a “Peace that Passes ALL Understanding” (Philippians 4:7). This verse basically means that no matter what we are going through we can have peace, even when it doesn’t make sense.
Now, the reason I share all of this, is I have great news, this same peace is available to YOU! In fact, the Lord wants to give you His peace! Despite all circumstances, emotions, and even storms of life you may be facing, there is a peace that can carry you through. A peace so deep that it puts a song in your heart.
So, how do you get this peace you may ask? It’s simple! This deep sense of peace and joy comes as you draw near to the Prince of Peace Himself, Jesus.
If you are lacking peace, TRUE peace today, I challenge you to come to Jesus, the prince of peace. He is always there, waiting with open arms to comfort you, counsel you, and give you a deep and fulfilling peace that stays constant through all of life’s ups and downs. All you have to do is spend time with Him, (this can be done by reading the bible, praying, or worshipping), and as you do, everything that He is begins to rub off on you! It is kind of like spending time with a friend, whom you begin to become like over time… Everything He is and has He wants to pour into you!
This Christmas season, it is my greatest hearts desire and prayer that you come to know this peace that can only be found in the Prince of Peace Himself, Jesus!
Merry Christmas Friends! xo Katie
Christmas is a wonderful time of celebration! A time to celebrate Jesus, family, and friends! Make each celebration a little sweeter with these breakfast, appetizer & dessert recipes!
When it comes to sweeteners, I personally like to use baking stevia and stevia packets. However, all of these recipes call for a sweetener that measures like sugar, which includes any sweetener that can be measured the same as sugar, or you could use sugar if you prefer.
If you prefer to use stevia or another sweetener, you will have to alter the amount based on the conversion table below, or according to your desired taste. This can take some experimenting, but once you get a feel for baking with different sweeteners, it is very simple to know how much to use. To get you started, I have provided a simple conversion table that works with stevia.
Please also note, that the amounts listed below may vary based on the brand of stevia you are using. The following chart pertains to NuNaturals stevia, which is the brand I personally recommend. If you are using baking stevia, simply use 1/2 of the sugar the recipe calls for.
I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! I know I sure did, as it is one of my very favorite holidays! What could be better than time spent with family, giving thanks to the Lord for all the good things He has done, all while cooking and enjoying great food!?!
I thought I would share a quick recap on my Thanksgiving with all of you! We spent the day at my moms house cooking up a storm and enjoying time together! My Aunt Lorrie and I both love to cook, so we were preparing the food while everyone else spent time talking and watching the game.
Here is a glimpse at the final product! Most of it was Dashing Dish recipes of course! :) We had turkey, sweet potato casserole, roasted vegetables, stuffing, mashed cauliflower, cranberry sauce, baked mac & cheese, corn muffins, and gravy!
As great as the food always is though, the best part of the day was being with family!
For dessert I made my pumpkin gingerbread trifle, always a crowd pleaser, and one of my faves!
After the meal we all talked about what we were thankful for, which is always such a special time! Then we relaxed, played games, and enjoyed each others company! Now, time to prepare for Christmas! I can’t believe it is already less than 3 weeks away! I hope you are all enjoying this special time of year as we reflect on God’s great love for us, that He sent His only Son, so we could be called His children!
When my husband and I originally came up with the name Dashing Dish, we did so with the intention of offering catering, alongside my website and ministry. Come to find out, God had different plans. It’s amazing how He always brings things full circle. Little did we know, the name ‘Dashing’ would one day relate to grocery delivery of a different kind.
God recently put it on our hearts to put the ‘Dashing’ into Dashing Dish by delivery groceries and grocery gift cards to people in need. We are sharing this with you today, because if you have supported Dashing Dish you are also a part of this ministry. We want to thank you from the bottom of our hearts for being a part of Dashing Dish. We truly believe that God has bigger plans for this ministry than we could have ever imagined and this is just the beginning.
Because it’s the holidays we want to start this ministry off with a bang. We feel there is no greater time to show God’s love than this time of year. For that reason, we are selling Dashing Dish shirts to support this cause.
Click the pic above to order your Dashing Dish t-shirt and 100% of the proceeds will go to support this Dashing Delivery ministry. Thank you so much for all of your support, donations, and prayers. Because of YOU, people are finding God’s love in a tangible way.
If you would like to hear more about this ministry, watch this short video:
Psalm 139: 13-18
For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place,
when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw my unformed body;
all the days ordained for me were written in your book
before one of them came to be.
How precious to me are your thoughts,God!
How vast is the sum of them!
Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand—
when I awake, I am still with you.
Here are some ideas for some delicious (and secretly nutritious) appetizers, sides, and desserts for the biggest meal of the year!
First Let’s Start with Some Favorites from Previous Years:
Now Let’s Talk New Additions:
My sweet friend Michelle Meyers recently designed and started her own workout clothing line that is both fashionable, and meaningful! She started the line after shopping for workout tees that described the reasons why people worked out. She soon realized none of them focused on honoring God with our bodies! Thats when she decided to create her own line called Cross Training Couture!
The best part!?! Michelle is offering a workout top of choice to one lucky Dashing Dish reader!
There are 2 ways to enter (each counts as a separate entry):
1. Visit Cross Training Couture and leave a comment below sharing what your favorite workout top is and why.
2. Share this giveaway on Facebook or Twitter and comment back here stating that you did.
I will announce the winner on Monday November 18th. Good luck!!!
The holidays are a special time of year filled with family, friends, and seasonal treats. Here are a few tips on enjoying the holidays in a balanced way!
1. Choose a Healthy Alternative- Eating healthy year round, (yes even during the holidays) can be done! It doesn’t mean giving up the foods you enjoy most, but simply swapping them with a healthier alternative! In fact, once you do so, you will notice how good you feel, and I can promise you will wonder why you ever even enjoyed those sugary treats to begin with!
2. Pick and Choose your Treats- The holidays are filled with special treats that only come around this season. There is nothing wrong with enjoying one or two of your grandma’s favorite cookies, or a piece of your mom’s famous pie…But the problem comes when people enjoy every holiday treat that is put in front of them. If you simply think ahead of time about what you REALLY want to enjoy this holiday season, it will keep you from having to work extra hard to take off those holiday treats in January! Plus, the added bonus is that you will truly savor and enjoy every bite of those holiday treats you do have much more when you only have a few of them!
3. Be Prepared- One way to prevent overeating is by eating small frequent meals throughout the day, and always having a protein rich snack before heading off to parties or holiday dinners. That way, when you finally sit down to eat a meal, you will be able to properly pay attention to your body’s hunger cues because you won’t be overly famished to begin with.
4. The party is about MORE than what is on your PLATE- Food is an element of a celebration, but not the defining factor, or the most important thing. If you keep this in mind when you’re on your way to a party, you can remind yourself that spending time with family and friends is the highlight of the event. This helps take the focus off the food and puts it back on the things that matter most.
5. It’s OK to say NO- During the holidays, many people are offering foods left and right as a gesture of love. I have learned that If I’m truly full, it is ok to be honest and politely say, “No thank you”. Most people will respect you when you politely say no. The great thing about this is, it allows you to say yes to the things you truly do enjoy this time of year!
6. BRING your OWN dish to pass- If you bring your own dish to pass, you can bring something that is tasty and healthy! The best part is, Dashing Dish offers tons of seasonal eats that are just as rich and delicious as the traditional dish, so no one will even know its healthy until you tell them!
7. Learn to Bounce Back- I find that one of the greatest downfalls when it comes to overeating is that it sets most people on a dangerous slippery slope. If you do overeat- don’t make that mistake! Remember, it is not one meal that will make you unhealthy so don’t let it get you in a defeated mindset! Just make the simple choice to bounce back. Start the next day by being active and make the choice to get right back on track with a healthy lifestyle! That is what balance is all about after all!