I have to start this announcement post by saying a great big THANK YOU to all of you! The year 2013 was an amazing year at Dashing Dish, and I truly feel so blessed to be a part of what God is doing! I have to say, nothing blesses my heart more than when I receive emails from you guys. When you share your stories and tell what God is doing in your lives, I am beyond blessed and encouraged by all of you! Not to mention, it always makes my day when I see the DD recipe creations you guys share on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter. I still get giddy every time I hear feedback that you (or someone you love) enjoyed a DD recipe!
Now, that all being said, I have some exciting news about the big things to come here at Dashing Dish for 2014!!!
First and foremost…I have been jumping with joy waiting to make this announcement! I can’t believe the time is finally here to share the big news!
I have been a bit busier than usual the past 7 months, not only because I have been moving into my first home with my hubby. I have also been busy writing my very first cookbook and a manuscript for a devotional book. This summer I received an email from Thomas Nelson Publishing Company stating that they wanted to publish a Dashing Dish Cookbook and Dashing Dish Devotional! My heart leapt with joy! Since that day I have been so eager to get the OK to share this exciting news with you guys!
My entire summer, fall, and winter has been spent developing, testing, and editing recipes behind the scenes of Dashing Dish! When I wasn’t in the kitchen I have been in my office listening to worship music and writing my little heart out for the devotional book!
Sooo…If you are asking yourself, “What’s will this cookbook consist of?” I’m here to tell you!
The Dashing Dish cookbook will be titled: Dashing Dish: 100 Simple and Delicious Recipes for Clean Eating
We are still in the process of deciding upon the final cookbook cover, but here is one of the fun concepts we have mocked up so far!
The cookbook will be filled with 100 recipes for your favorite ‘comfort foods’ that are incredibly easy and fun to make. I focused on a simple and clean eating approach, which is what you would find on the Dashing Dish website!
In the Dashing Dish Cookbook you will find:
100 Healthy & Wholesome Recipes. Staying true to Dashing Dish, every recipe is made with healthy, wholesome ingredients without losing any of the flavor! I include a pantry staple list as well with basic ingredients. Let’s face it, who has time to go grocery shopping every single time you want to make a recipe? I know I don’t, which is why all of my recipes can be made with a few basic staples.
Nutrition Information. At the end of every recipe will list the Calories, Carbohydrate, Sugar, Fat, and Protein contents for each Serving.
Colored Photos. Every recipe has a colored photo. This was especially important to me, because I can’t stand when a recipe doesn’t have a picture to go with it! I mean, what’s the fun in that!?!
Simple & Kid Friendly. All of the recipes are uncomplicated, simple, and made with a few basic ingredients, just like the recipes you know and love from Dashing Dish website. They are just about all ‘picky eater’ friendly, and can be made by both experienced and novice chefs alike!
Tips & Tricks. Along with this cookbook I have included healthy baking and cooking techniques, shortcuts, tips, and tricks. There is no greater passion for me than to teach others how fun and simple it can be to live a healthy lifestyle…and I hope to share those some of the most helpful things I have learned over the years with all of you!
I will also have giveaway opportunities and announcements to keep you guys informed, but until then, I’ll leave you with a few sneak peeks of what’s inside the cookbook!
Now, if you have been left wondering about the devotional- good news… I have more to share on that as well!
The Dashing Dish devotional book will be titled: Dashing Dish: Devotions for a Healthier You.
I am beyond excited about the opportunity to share this book with you guys! It is truly my greatest heart’s desire to help others find encouragement, balance, and fulfillment through God’s Word and healthy living. I have poured my heart into this devotional book hoping that it will bring life-giving nourishment through the Word of God, as well as practical tools to anyone that picks it up.
In the Dashing Dish Devotional Book you will find:
Devotions. This devotional book will be filled with devotions that have been inspired by my personal journal entries, which will range in topics from body image to understanding and receiving God’s great love for us. These devotions will be simple and straight to the heart of the issue, focusing on one or two verses each, which will allow you to walk away with a ‘bite size’ morsel of the Word to chew on throughout the day.
Dashing Tips. In addition to building you up spiritually, I also hope this book will bring practical knowledge on how to live a physically fit and healthy lifestyle, which is where the Dashing Tips come in! They are packed with tools to help you live a balanced life, as well as practical strategies to help you overcome discouragement and pitfalls when you are finding it hard to balance it all.
Meal Planning. Last but not least, as a bonus, there will also be meal planning strategies and tips included in this book. This will teach even the busiest home cook to plan, prepare, and get organized in the kitchen!
Both the cookbook and devotional book will be available for pre-order in the future, and I will certainly keep you updated when that happens! They will both be published around the holidays in 2014 and will be available at bookstores nationwide, as well as at any of the online retailers such as Amazon, Barnes & Noble online, etc. I’ll have more information about it’s availability when the publishing dates get closer.
If you’d like to sign up to receive email updates about the cookbook and devotional, click the button below to subscribe!
Now…On to the next big thing that will be taking place this coming year here at Dashing Dish. I am SO beyond excited to announce that this year we will be launching a New and Improved Dashing Dish Website, as well as a Dashing Dish Mobile App and iPad App!
We have taken all of the helpful feedback you guys have given over the past year and wrapped it up into a new and improved website and app that will hopefully make everything from your grocery shopping to your cooking a more enjoyable experience!
My husband and I have spent months talking, dreaming, and praying about what we could do to make the Dashing Dish website even more user friendly, as well as ways to help even the busiest person prepare and plan healthy meals throughout the week. I truly am confident when I say that all of that preparation time has paid off as I see my husband’s creative mind (and hands) bring it all to life on screen! I hope this new site will make life easier when you are on the go as well as make you want to stay a while (when you finally do get the chance to sit down for the day!).
I can’t give away all of the new features just yet, but it is safe to say that this new site and iPhone/iPad app will make healthy eating a whole lot easier…and hopefully even exciting!
Here are a few sample pages on the new site…Isn’t it pretty!?! Ahhh…I think my husband is a keeper! :)
The new site and iPhone/iPad app are currently in the works, but are still quite a ways from being complete. They require a lot of time (and resources) from my husband and I (oh, and our I can’t forget to mention our amazing developer Dan). Since we are still running things behind the scenes just the three of us, we are trying to get things to you as quickly as we can. I will keep you guys informed and updated on the new site/app as well, I would expect more info around spring time! I can’t wait to see what God has in store this year (and the years to come) for Dashing Dish. I pray it is a blessing to each and every one of you on a daily basis!
Have a Blessed Day!!! xo Katie
The Big Game (the Super Bowl) is officially upon us- which means it is also officially time for Game Day Recipes! Here are some of my healthy alternatives that are sure to impress the crowd at your next tailgate!
Christmas is a wonderful time of celebration! A time to celebrate Jesus, family, and friends! Make each celebration a little sweeter with these breakfast, appetizer & dessert recipes!
When it comes to sweeteners, I personally like to use baking stevia and stevia packets. However, all of these recipes call for a sweetener that measures like sugar, which includes any sweetener that can be measured the same as sugar, or you could use sugar if you prefer.
If you prefer to use stevia or another sweetener, you will have to alter the amount based on the conversion table below, or according to your desired taste. This can take some experimenting, but once you get a feel for baking with different sweeteners, it is very simple to know how much to use. To get you started, I have provided a simple conversion table that works with stevia.
Please also note, that the amounts listed below may vary based on the brand of stevia you are using. The following chart pertains to NuNaturals stevia, which is the brand I personally recommend. If you are using baking stevia, simply use 1/2 of the sugar the recipe calls for.
When my husband and I originally came up with the name Dashing Dish, we did so with the intention of offering catering, alongside my website and ministry. Come to find out, God had different plans. It’s amazing how He always brings things full circle. Little did we know, the name ‘Dashing’ would one day relate to grocery delivery of a different kind.
God recently put it on our hearts to put the ‘Dashing’ into Dashing Dish by delivery groceries and grocery gift cards to people in need. We are sharing this with you today, because if you have supported Dashing Dish you are also a part of this ministry. We want to thank you from the bottom of our hearts for being a part of Dashing Dish. We truly believe that God has bigger plans for this ministry than we could have ever imagined and this is just the beginning.
Because it’s the holidays we want to start this ministry off with a bang. We feel there is no greater time to show God’s love than this time of year. For that reason, we are selling Dashing Dish shirts to support this cause.
Click the pic above to order your Dashing Dish t-shirt and 100% of the proceeds will go to support this Dashing Delivery ministry. Thank you so much for all of your support, donations, and prayers. Because of YOU, people are finding God’s love in a tangible way.
If you would like to hear more about this ministry, watch this short video:
Here are some ideas for some delicious (and secretly nutritious) appetizers, sides, and desserts for the biggest meal of the year!
First Let’s Start with Some Favorites from Previous Years:
Now Let’s Talk New Additions:
The holidays are a special time of year filled with family, friends, and seasonal treats. Here are a few tips on enjoying the holidays in a balanced way!
1. Choose a Healthy Alternative- Eating healthy year round, (yes even during the holidays) can be done! It doesn’t mean giving up the foods you enjoy most, but simply swapping them with a healthier alternative! In fact, once you do so, you will notice how good you feel, and I can promise you will wonder why you ever even enjoyed those sugary treats to begin with!
2. Pick and Choose your Treats- The holidays are filled with special treats that only come around this season. There is nothing wrong with enjoying one or two of your grandma’s favorite cookies, or a piece of your mom’s famous pie…But the problem comes when people enjoy every holiday treat that is put in front of them. If you simply think ahead of time about what you REALLY want to enjoy this holiday season, it will keep you from having to work extra hard to take off those holiday treats in January! Plus, the added bonus is that you will truly savor and enjoy every bite of those holiday treats you do have much more when you only have a few of them!
3. Be Prepared- One way to prevent overeating is by eating small frequent meals throughout the day, and always having a protein rich snack before heading off to parties or holiday dinners. That way, when you finally sit down to eat a meal, you will be able to properly pay attention to your body’s hunger cues because you won’t be overly famished to begin with.
4. The party is about MORE than what is on your PLATE- Food is an element of a celebration, but not the defining factor, or the most important thing. If you keep this in mind when you’re on your way to a party, you can remind yourself that spending time with family and friends is the highlight of the event. This helps take the focus off the food and puts it back on the things that matter most.
5. It’s OK to say NO- During the holidays, many people are offering foods left and right as a gesture of love. I have learned that If I’m truly full, it is ok to be honest and politely say, “No thank you”. Most people will respect you when you politely say no. The great thing about this is, it allows you to say yes to the things you truly do enjoy this time of year!
6. BRING your OWN dish to pass- If you bring your own dish to pass, you can bring something that is tasty and healthy! The best part is, Dashing Dish offers tons of seasonal eats that are just as rich and delicious as the traditional dish, so no one will even know its healthy until you tell them!
7. Learn to Bounce Back- I find that one of the greatest downfalls when it comes to overeating is that it sets most people on a dangerous slippery slope. If you do overeat- don’t make that mistake! Remember, it is not one meal that will make you unhealthy so don’t let it get you in a defeated mindset! Just make the simple choice to bounce back. Start the next day by being active and make the choice to get right back on track with a healthy lifestyle! That is what balance is all about after all!
I’ve been so inspired by all the emails about people losing weight with Dashing Dish recipes and getting their mind renewed by my devotionals that I’ve decided it’s time to get everyone involved! Starting November 1st, I want to challenge my readers during one of the busiest seasons of the year to eat healthy and grow spiritually. The challenge will go for 21 days (ends on November 21st) and hopefully will last a lifetime (statistics prove it takes 21 days to form a habit).
What do you get in return you ask? Besides you and your family getting healthier, saving money (by eating more meals at home), and growing spiritually… the winner of the challenge will receive a $500 Visa Gift Card (perfect for Christmas shopping ~ How is that for motivation!?!)
The best part is that I’ve made it easy to enter…and in doing so you will motivate and encourage others who are also doing the challenge! (Be sure to post testimonies as well!!!)
Here’s how to enter: every time you make a Dashing Dish recipe, journal (SOAP), or workout using a Dashing Dish workout during the 21 days, tag @DashingDish and you will be entered for a chance to win.
There are 3 ways to share: either tag/mention @DashingDish or on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. You can also hashtag Dashing Dish (#DashingDish). Each time you share, it counts as an entry and increases your chance to win! (There will be a limit to 6 entries per person per day!)
Download the Free 21 Day Challenge Guide Here. Remember! The 21 Day Challenge Begins November 1st and Ends – November 21st! Have fun!
(Please note – this Challenge may not be suitable for everyone. Please check with your doctor before beginning any program or exercise routine.)
1. Don’t be Fooled: Just because a label says ‘fun size‘ on it, doesn’t mean that it comes with a miniature amount of calories and sugar! For example, just one ‘fun size‘ Butterfingers bar has 100 calories and 10 grams of sugar! Almost all of the most popular ‘fun size’ candy bars have between 80-110 calories and 8-15 grams of sugar each!
2. Get Rid of Temptation: If temptation comes at you in the form of a little orange, brown, or yellow packet, (yeah…you know what I’m talking about), there is one simple way to put an end to the ‘drawing in’ of a sweet little treat. How do we get rid of temptation once and for all? Get it out of the house, off of your desk at work, or wherever candy may haunting you. If your kids just went trick or treating, you can allow them to choose a few of their favorites, then get rid of the rest. You could either donate it, give it away, or simply toss it! It’s simple: If you don’t have it around then you (and your kids…who also don’t need the sugar) won’t be tempted by it!
3. Swap Out Your Favorites: If you simply must have a Peanut Butter Cup, then simply swap it out for a healthier alternative! That is truly what Dashing Dish is all about…Not giving up your favorite foods and treats, but rather swapping them out for alternatives that are just as tasty (and don’t send you into a sugar slump!) Speaking of… I have a healthy PB cup recipe coming next week!
4. Don’t Buy Candy to Give Away: Going back to point #2, if you have candy in the house to ‘give away’ you most likely will be tempted by it. In addition, do you really want to add to the bag of ‘junk’ that those cute little kids are carting around!?! Instead, get creative, give non-edible ‘treats’ such as pencils or erasers (hey, it may sound lame to you, but my sister who is a 3rd grade teachers says those things go like hot cakes in her goody bin!) Or you could give away a healthier treat, such as 100% fruit leathers.
5. Bring Treats to Pass at Parties: It’s that time of year…From now until January 1st there will be holiday party galore!!! Parties are comprised of three main things: fun, socializing, and FOOD! There is no way around it, holiday parties often bombard you with all sorts of treats that look oh so tasty! The best way to deal with the ever present temptation from Trick or Treat to Happy New Year!?! Bring your own dish to pass! It really is that simple. I bring a dish, a dessert, or sometimes both to every party I go to, so that way I know there is going to be a healthy option for myself and friends to enjoy! This is one of the most simple ways to combat the all too common holiday weight gain. (With that, I must say, I personally always enjoy a few of my very favorite (full fat-full sugar) treats during the holidays, but I keep it to a reasonable portion, and when I do, I make sure I truly enjoy every bite!)
Enjoy the Best Flavors of Fall with this Pumpkin Recipe Round-Up!