Add Leftover Turkey and Veggies to any of these Dishes. Simply Swap Out Shredded Chicken for Turkey!
I have big news! I took the suggestions and feedback from you guys and created three new meal plans that were designed to best suit your needs! I also designed them to serve both two and four people, so they are easy to adjust to your family’s needs!
If you order a new meal plan any time from November 25th-30th, you will receive a discount for 10% OFF ANY meal plan you purchase using the code: GIVETHANKS
Here are the three new meal plans being offered:
Month 4 Meal Plan: This all new Dashing Dish meal plan features a month’s worth of unique and fresh recipes for breakfasts, lunches, dinners, snacks, and desserts, and includes a weekly grocery list and calendar to keep you organized. This month was designed for those who love to cook! There are no leftovers or ‘dinners out’ in this meal plan.
Quick and Easy Dinners: This Dashing Dish meal plan includes a month’s worth of dinner recipes that are fast and easy to prepare. It features a weekly grocery list and calendar to keep you organized. This is the best meal plan choice for those who are busy but want to get a healthy dinner on the table in a reasonable amount of time.
Crockpot Dinners: This Dashing Dish meal plan includes a month’s worth of crockpot dinner recipes that are fast and easy to prepare, and the crockpot does the cooking for you. It features a weekly grocery list and calendar to keep you organized. This is the best meal plan choice for those who find that crockpot cooking works best for their lifestyle.
Also, if you purchase a meal plan in this time frame, you will be automatically be entered to win a signed copy of the Dashing Dish Devotional; Devotions for a Healthier You! On December 1st, I will announce the three lucky winners of the Dashing Devotional Giveaway, and ensure you receive them before Christmas!
Here are some ideas for some delicious (and secretly nutritious) appetizers, sides, and desserts for the biggest meal of the year!
First Let’s Start with Some Favorites from Previous Years:
And Now for Some New:
Stay Tuned for Even More Thanksgiving Recipes in the Next Couple of Weeks on Dashing Dish!
This at home Turkey Burn Circuit workout is perfect for this busy time of year! Each circuit can be done once or three times through, depending on how much time you have- right at home, using your body weight!
|20 Jumping Jacks|
10 Alternating Front Kicks
|40 Jumping Jacks|
20 Alternating Front Kicks
|50 Jumping Jacks
30 Alternating Front Kicks
10 Alternating Lunges
20 Alternating Lunges
|25 Squat Jumps
20 Alternating Lunge Jumps
|30 Second Plank Hold|
10 Tricep Dips on Chair
|60 Second Plank Hold|
20 Tricep Dips on Chair
|60 Second Walking Plank
30 Tricep Dips on Chair (alternating one leg in the air, one leg on the ground)
|30 Second Wall Sit|
20 Alternating Knee Raises
|60 Second Wall Sit|
20 High Knees
|60 Second Wall Sit (alternating one leg in the air, one leg on the ground)
40 High Knees
|10 Push Ups (modified)|
10 Mountain Climbers
|20 Push Ups (modified)|
20 Mountain Climbers
|25 Push Ups (regular)
40 Mountain Climbers
|Repeat 1-3 times through||Repeat 1-3 times through||Repeat 1-3 times through|
Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.~Proverbs 22:6
If your family is anything like ours, busy is the word that seems to describe your schedule most of the time. Something I’ve really taken to the Lord lately is my concern over busyness pushing out time for my kids to enjoy time with the Lord. My heart’s desire is that my kids will learn early to love their time with the Lord, to desire it and to prioritize it. Of course, I have to model that for them, but I really needed the Lord to show me ways for THEM to spend time with Him amidst their busy schedules. He’s been so faithful, I hope some of the ideas God’s given me bless your family too.
Homework – my son attends public school so he don’t have bible time, but he does have homework! He is required to read for 40 minutes per week. So, the Lord showed me to make his reading time his Bible time. First thing in the morning at breakfast, he reads to us for 10 minutes from his bible or a daily devotion. He is meeting his homework requirements, improving his reading skills, hiding God’s work in his heart first thing in the morning, and it’s been an unexpected blessing to me too! I get something out of HIS time with the Lord every day!
Technology – Admittedly, I am not a huge technology person. I timidly tip-toed into the Apple store when I could no longer deny that I may in fact be the sole surviving flip-phone owner. However, I do love that technology makes the Word of God so accessible! Blessed are those who HEAR the Word and obey it. My kids love to listen to the Word before bed, it’s a great way for them to wind down and to cover their minds and hearts before they fall asleep. My daughter is only four, so she does best with a Bible Stick (BibleStick KIDZ Bible is available at www.faithcomesbyhearing.com), an amazing little tool that’s simple to use, and she LOVES it. My son uses an Ipod so I can download so many amazing options for him to enjoy. Some of our favorites are:
Ultimately, my prayer is that my kids will seek out God’s word because they LOVE it, because they desire it and because it truly is alive and real in their lives. I am so thankful for God’s creativity and faithfulness to provide fun ways for our kids to be led into all truth as they hide His word in their hearts. I hope your family is as blessed by this as we have been. xo Sarah
In today’s society, women have so many messages coming at them, making many them feel inadequate in some way. Although these messages seem to be shouting at us daily, I believe there is a simple, yet powerful answer to overcome these feelings of not being ‘enough’, which is to simply be thankful!
This year I decided to hold another 21-day challenge at Dashing Dish, but this time around I decided to make the focus on being thankful for the good things the Lord has done in our lives!
God has given us so many unique talents, gifts, and abilities in order to bless others, raise families, and glorify the Lord. So, why not make a conscious effort to give thanks every day for 21 days!?
Starting November 1st, I want to challenge my readers during one of the busiest seasons of the year to focus on the blessings in their life. It can be something big, or small, or even something you are thankful for related to your health and/or body! The challenge will go for 21 days (ends on November 21st) and hopefully will last a lifetime (statistics prove it takes 21 days to form a habit). I pray this challenge will inspire you to focus on the things in your life that you can be thankful for!
The winner of the challenge will receive a Dashing Dish Favorite Things Basket! This basket will be filled with tons of my favorite goodies, which include; 3 containers of protein powder and protein bars from Designer Whey, Peanut Flour, Nu Naturals Stevia, a custom made apron from Chelsea Made Aprons ($100 value), and a $100 Visa Gift Card!
There are three ways to Enter: Share a picture of something you are thankful for on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, and tag or mention @DashingDish or #DashingDish. Every day that you share, it counts as an entry and increases your chance to win!
For accountability and support: You can join the Facebook 21 Day Dashing Dish Give Thanks Challenge Group! This group is for anyone involved in the Dashing Dish 21 Day Challenge! It is a place where we can support, encourage, and pray for one another to focus on the good things God has done in our lives! Sarah Shaffer will be posting in this group as well, and she and I will be praying for you daily! You can share pictures, or whatever it is you are thankful for here as well!
Remember! The 21-Day Challenge begins November 1st and ends November 21st! I will be doing this challenge along with you guys, and I’m so excited to start this journey with you!
(Please note – This challenge is limited to US citizens only, due to shipping purposes.)
There are varying opinions about how to handle Halloween, but there’s one thing we can all agree on –there will be candy! Lots and lots of candy!
When my son turned two I sought the Lord about how to handle Halloween in our home. At that point he was toddling around with tiny steps and there was a huge part of me that really wanted to put him in some crazy cute get-up and show him off to all the neighbors! I had such fond memories of fall evenings running with friends from house to house on that night. Then, rushing home with excitement to revel in the bounty I’d collected. It was a good, pure memory for me and one I desired for my own kids.
I really needed the Lords guidance though to help set a precedent with our kids for Halloween. I don’t believe there is any one “right” way for everyone, but what the Lord showed me has been a blessing and is still the way we approach Halloween six years later. The kids know that their costume choices have to follow the Philippians 4:8 rule (whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.) and be “silly” in nature – nothing scary or “dark”. And, we are very, very careful to “guard our gates” (an awesome article about this here, http://sarahbessey.com/guard-gates/). In other words, we are very careful about what our little eyes see. We intentionally choose to get candy from homes where the “light is on” both literally and figuratively.
I had great peace about how we would handle Halloween, but in the early years of seeking more balance in my health, Halloween posed another source of stress and anxiety for me. The candy, oh the endless, endless candy! I simply did not want all that temptation, nor did I really feel that my kids should be eating that much candy for seemingly months on end. So, again, I sought the Lord and as always He was faithful with an answer that has blessed me ever since. I want to share it with you in hopes that it helps bring more peace and balance to you this year!
The kids collect as much candy as they want to, after all the collection is half the fun. We all sit down together and sort, and ooh and ahh over the amount, then we ALL pick our three favorite pieces to enjoy right then and there. I participated in this right from the get-go. I want to model balance for my kids and let them see that it’s ok to enjoy something like small amounts of candy once in a while without it leading to disordered eating. Then, they are given the choice to trade in their candy or keep it. They can “trade” their candy for an experience (I did toys the first year, but quickly realized that wasn’t the best option). They hand over the remainder of the candy, and in trade I give them an IOU for a trip to the museum, or the zoo, or the movies, any healthy experience they choose.
So you may be thinking, ok great Sarah, but what if they choose the candy!? I know! Admittedly, I still wait for their answers with bated breath hoping it’s never the candy. If they choose the candy, they get to keep as many additional pieces as they are in years (four pieces for my four year old, eight for my eight year old, etc.). Can I be honest though? They never have! I think there is almost a tiny, albeit, denied part of them that almost feels relieved to have that much abundance controlled for them – I think it’s overwhelming even for kids!
As for the rest of the candy, I either offer it to my dry cleaner to hand out throughout the year, or friends, I simply toss it. It’s ok. I’ve let go of the guilt. I really think it’s ok to just let that one go – guilt be gone in Jesus name! I pray this blesses you and your family and may THE light of the world shine on you this fall season!
What are the Benefits of Studying the Word of God?
Over the past few years, I have received a lot of questions and emails from people who asking how to study the Bible. I want to begin by saying that the great thing about spending time in the Word is that we get to spend time with our Father, and He wants to speak to us through His Word even more than we want to hear from Him! He loves us more than we could ever imagine, and His love letter to each one of us is the Bible!
I wanted to start by saying, because I truly think that if we go into studying the Word of God with the mindset that it is something that we ‘should’ or ‘have’ to do, it sucks the life right out of it! Instead, if we approach the Word as time to be with our Father and fellowship with the creator of the universe, we will see this time as a treasure, rather than a religious duty.
Not only is time spent in the Word a time to receive the Lord’s great love for us, but it is also the road map to our lives, guiding us and leading us into all truth and showing us the way to go. It also builds us up in our faith, gives us direction, renews our minds, lovingly corrects us, gives us wisdom, and brings true peace, joy, and fulfillment… and the list goes on. An important thing to remember is that the Word of God has the answer to every situation we will ever face in this life, and it will nourish and satisfy us like nothing on this earth ever could!
How do we Study the Word?
Now that I have laid a foundation for the benefits of spending time in the Word, the second thing I want to say about studying the Bible is that it is not a simple answer because the Word is Alive (Hebrews 4:12). It is different than any other book, because the Holy Spirit wrote it through people, and it is the Holy Spirit that brings each word on the page alive to each one of us as we study it. Therefore, the study of the Word and time spent with the Lord will look a little different for each person. It may look different each day and season of our lives because there may times/days when we really just need to spend time studying one passage or scripture for a period of time while asking the Lord to reveal it to us in a deeper way and bring it to life to us. There may be other times, however, when we read a whole chapter in one day and the Lord uses bits and pieces of it to speak different things to us. However, that being said, there are some truths that are constant and remain the same when it comes to believers reading the Word.
Here are the five things that should stay the same and apply to everyone in their time spent studying the Word:
1. Give God’s Word First Place. When we put God’s Word first place, everything in our lives will be built upon a firm foundation. John 8:31-32 tells us that if we abide in the Word, then we will be His disciples. We will know the truth and the truth will set us free. If we want to walk in the freedom that God has for us in every area of our life, we must make it our first priority to spend time with the Lord each day. If you feel that you don’t have time early in the morning, I would encourage you to try going to bed earlier so that you can set your alarm to wake up earlier! You can always study during your lunch break, at night, or any time throughout the day, but I personally have found that my whole day gets off to the right start when I make time to fellowship with Him first thing!
2. Go into Reading your Bible with Expectancy. When you spend time with the Lord, begin looking at it like getting to know your best friend. When you spend time with that person, they rub off on you a little more and soon you become like them. That is the way we should go into spending time with God. That takes away any tendency that someone might have to spend time with God out of ‘duty’ or obligation. When we expect to hear from Him, we are walking in faith that He will speak to us. This kind of attitude not only pleases Him (Hebrews 11:6), but it opens our hearts up to receive what He is speaking to us!
3. Pray Before you Read. Ask the Lord to bring the Word alive to you, to bring you revelation, and to give you eyes to see, ears to hear, and a heart to receive what He is saying to you. I always ask the Holy Spirit to give me insight and understanding when reading the Word. The Holy Spirit was sent to us to teach us, counsel us, and remind us of the truths of God’s Word. He is also the one who inspired the people who wrote the Word, so He is the best teacher of all! (John 14:26)
4. Seek and You will Find. If you have a question, something you are going through, or just want to know the Lord more, know that when you seek, you will find, and that the Word has the answer to everything we have need of in this life. (Matthew 7:7)
5. Meditate and Pray the Word. I personally love journaling while studying the Word. When I write down scriptures, it allows me to think about each word and think about how it applies to my own life. I also love praying the Word, because I know that I am praying God’s perfect will when I am praying in alignment with what He said! I also love writing and praying scripture based prayers, because it increases my faith in His promises and it allows me to look back and reflect on His faithfulness!
Where Should I Start Reading?
As far as where to start reading or what Bible to read, I would say that it is important to read both the Old and New Testament equally. However, if it is your first time reading the Bible, I would suggest starting with the New Testament because this is where you will find your identity about who you are in Jesus. The New Testament is composed of The Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke John), which were written by the disciples, sharing their encounters with Jesus when He was on the earth.The Epistles – (Acts-Revelation) were written for the Christian church instructing us on how to live and carry out the ministry of Jesus today, while teaching us who we are in Christ. The New Testament is beneficial to us today because as Christians, we are saved by what Jesus did for us on the cross. For that reason, we are now under a new covenant with God, which means that we are no longer subject to the punishment of God and we don’t have to offer sacrifices for our sins. Jesus came as a sacrifice once and for all for all and carried our sins in His body so that we could be born again and have a personal relationship with God (1 Peter 2:24).
The Old Testament is also equally important because it is the foundation for the New Testament, teaching us about who God created us to be from the beginning. It also contains countless prophesies of things to come in the New Testament that could only be fully understood if you read the Old Testament. It has powerful life lessons that provide wisdom, insight, and understanding to our lives today.
What Version Should I Read?
I personally like the NKJV and the NLT. However, it is important that it is a version that you can understand. The NIV, NKJV, NLT, Amplified, and The Message are all versions I have studied in the past. I would say that it also helps to have a dictionary to help you understand certain words and/or a concordance to study the Greek or Hebrew root words and their meanings. Some other additional study guides that I have found helpful in learning my foundation of who I am in Christ are, The Believers Journey by Chris Palmer and The Battlefield of the Mind by Joyce Meyer. I also wrote my devotional Devotions for a Healthier You in hopes to help women find their true fulfillment and identity in Christ based on what I have studied and learned over the years.
I hope this helps! This topic can go much deeper than one post can explain, but I hope this encourages you to explore and study the Word if you haven’t already started! I truly believe that God’s Word is the foundation for our lives, and it will be our rock- firm, steady, and never changing through all of life’s seasons…But most of all, it is God’s personal love letter to you! xo Katie
I wasn’t always someone who enjoyed working out early in the morning, but now I can’t imagine it any other way! Here are my top ten tips to getting in an early morning workout!
1. Be Prepared- One of the most important steps for me to make my early morning workouts happen is to be prepared! I like to have my clothes laid out, my workout bottle filled and ready in the fridge, and my workouts written and ready to go! That way, I get to set my alarm with just enough time to wash my face, brush my teeth, and throw on my clothes. Being prepared means less things to think about when it’s early in the morning!
2. Find Workout Buddies- There is something so much more motivating about working out with a buddy or a group of friends! Not to mention, having someone at the gym to meet you makes it that much easier to jump out of bed knowing that someone is counting on you to be there at a certain time! My favorite workout buddy is my sister, Emily. We meet each other at the gym early a few times a week, (she is a teacher, so we have to meet at 5:30 am so she can get to school on time), but the great thing about our workouts are that they are done before I know it and then we have the rest of our day to enjoy! Click Here for a Circuit Partner Workout!
3. Go to Bed Earlier- Let’s face it… one of the most common reasons many people don’t like to workout early is that they feel too tired. If this sounds familiar, I have great news…This can be solved by getting to bed at a reasonable time! I find that if I get at least 7 hours of sleep, I feel great the rest of the day, despite how early I get up! For example, when I know I am waking up at 5 am to meet my sister, I try to be in bed by 10 pm. To me, that is not too unreasonable and it is totally worth it to me knowing I will feel great the next day after I have allowed my body to get enough rest!
4. Eat a Quick Pre-Workout Snack- I personally don’t like to have a lot of food in my stomach when I workout (it gives me stomach cramps), but often, I like to eat something really light before heading out the door. If you are someone that prefers to eat before a workout, I recommend something with carbohydrates and not too high in protein, unless you are able to eat at least 30-60 minutes before your workout. This gives your body time to digest it. I suggest anything from Dashing Dish muffins, overnight oatmeal, or some dry low sugar cereal. Again, this will vary from person to person, so I recommend experimenting with a few different options to see what works best for you. Also, be sure to always have a water bottle ready to go! Being hydrated is especially important before you’ve had anything to eat or drink for the day.
5. Get in the Mindset- I can honestly say that I enjoy working out early in the morning, but that wasn’t always the case. In fact, there was a time when I would cringe at the thought of rolling out of bed and working out. However, I have found over time that there are more pros than cons when it comes to getting it done first thing. Here are a few examples of the benefits: Working out in the morning means that I don’t have to think about it the rest of the day, I feel more energized the rest of my day, and I tend to want to take care of my body the rest of the day, knowing that I put in the time and effort to workout!
6. Find a Workout You Enjoy- This might come as a shock to some of you, but I firmly believe that you can and should enjoy your workouts. If you are currently doing something that you find to be boring or you are doing something you dread, I want to encourage you to find something you enjoy. Yes it is possible! With all the options available today, there is no reason that you can’t find something that you love and feel that you are good at, and it doesn’t even have to be done at a gym! Try going with some friends to a work out class, buy some workout DVDs, or sign up for a walk/run/biking event. Do whatever you can to get out of your comfort zone. You never know, you might try something once and look forward to working out the rest of your life! Click Here for Some Fun & Easy Workout Ideas!
7. Workout at Home- One of the greatest reasons for not working out early is that you simply don’t have time! For most of us, the morning can be one of the busiest times of all…But there is an answer! Working out at home is one of the best and easiest ways to get an early morning workout in, because it doesn’t require the extra time to drive to and from a gym. I have plenty of at home workouts that require only a few simple pieces of equipment (such as dumbbells), as well as some that don’t require anything except for your own body weight! Click Here for an At Home Total Body Circuit Workout!
8. Plan Out Your Workouts- Having a plan, especially when it’s early in the morning is key to getting a good workout in! I know that if I didn’t plan my workouts ahead of time on my early workout days, that I would most likely have a hard time pushing myself in the gym. I don’t know about you, but the last thing that I can get my brain to do at 5:30 am is plan out a workout, nor do we have time when I am meeting my sister, who has to leave the gym at 6:30 am. The best thing we ever did was buy a simple and cheap notebook from Target and write out all of our workouts every Sunday so that we know what we are doing for the whole week in advance! It is also more motivating to know what we are doing ahead of time and have an organized game plan.
9. Have a Workout Playlist Ready- I don’t know about you, but having an awesome workout playlist gets me in the mood to workout! Don’t have any idea where to start with a ‘clean’ and uplifting playlist!? No problem! One of my current favorites is Hillsong Young & Free! Click Here for a Awesome Workout Playlist!
10. Re-Fuel with a Healthy Post-Workout Breakfast- If you do make the time and effort to start your day off with a workout, be sure to fuel your body properly throughout the rest of the day! As important as working out is, nutrition really is the most important component when it comes to maintaining a healthy weight and lifestyle! If you are worried that you don’t have time to workout and prep a healthy breakfast in the morning, no worries! I have tons of healthy breakfast options on Dashing Dish that are super speedy to make and can even be made the night before. I personally like to re-fuel with something that is higher in protein and complex carbohydrates. My personal favorite is one of my Dashing Dish protein shakes! Click Here for a List of 20 Quick and Easy Breakfast Ideas.
I am SO excited to share this big (and long awaited) news with you guys! It is official… both my cookbook and devotional are available now for pre-order!!! If you order them now they will be shipped on December 30th, which means they will also make great gifts, and will be here just in time for the holidays!
The cookbook is filled with 100 recipes for your favorite foods made healthy that are incredibly easy to make. I focused on a simple and clean eating approach, which is what you would find on the Dashing Dish website.
To show my appreciation to all of you who’ve supported Dashing Dish over the years, I wanted to give you a special gift! If you pre-order a copy of my cookbook you will receive my never-before-released, ALL NEW One Month Meal Plan! The meal plan is instantly downloaded to your email when you email proof of purchase (i.e.- the receipt, receipt number, or order confirmation) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the Dashing Dish Cookbook you will find:
100 Healthy & Wholesome Recipes- PLUS brand NEW recipes! Staying true to Dashing Dish, every recipe is made with healthy, wholesome ingredients without losing any of the flavor! Included is a pantry staple list with basic ingredients. Let’s face it, who has time to go grocery shopping every single time you want to make a recipe? I know I don’t, which is why all of my recipes can be made with a few basic staples. Plus, tons of brand new recipes and content that has never been featured on Dashing Dish before!
Nutrition Information. At the end of every recipe will list the calorie, carbohydrate, sugar, fat, and protein contents for each serving.
Colored Photos. Every recipe has a colored photo. This was especially important to me, because I can’t stand when a recipe doesn’t have a picture to go with it! I mean, what’s the fun in that!?!
Simple & Kid Friendly. All of the recipes are uncomplicated, simple, and made with a few basic ingredients, just like the recipes you know and love from Dashing Dish website. They are just about all ‘picky eater’ friendly, and can be made by both experienced and novice chefs alike!
Tips & Tricks. Along with this cookbook I have included healthy baking and cooking techniques, shortcuts, tips, and tricks. There is no greater passion for me than to teach others how fun and simple it can be to live a healthy lifestyle. I hope to share some of the most helpful things I have learned over the years with all of you!
Here is a sneak peak at what’s inside the cookbook!
I am beyond excited to share this book with all of you! It is truly my greatest heart’s desire to help others find encouragement, balance, and fulfillment through God’s Word and healthy living. I have poured my heart into this devotional book hoping that it will bring life-giving nourishment through the Word of God as well as practical tools to anyone that picks it up.
In the Dashing Dish Devotional Book you will find:
Devotions. This devotional book is filled with devotions that have been inspired by my personal journal entries, which will range in topics from body image to understanding and receiving God’s great love for us. These devotions will be simple and straight to the heart of the issue, focusing on one or two verses each, which will allow you to walk away with a ‘bite size’ morsel of the Word to chew on throughout the day.
Dashing Tips. In addition to building you up spiritually, I also hope this book will bring practical knowledge on how to live a physically fit and healthy lifestyle, which is where the Dashing Tips come in! They are packed with tools to help you live a balanced life, as well as practical strategies to help you overcome discouragement and pitfalls when you are finding it hard to balance it all.
Dashes of Inspiration. Real life inspiration that is meant to encourage, uplift, and inspire you!
Meal Planning. Last but not least, as a bonus, there is a full 1 week meal plan including breakfast, lunch, and dinner recipes with full shopping list. The devotional also includes bonus recipes as well as meal planning strategies and tips. These tips will teach even the busiest home cook to plan, prepare, and get organized in the kitchen!
Both the cookbook and devotional book are available for pre-order now and will be released December 30th. Both books will be also be available at bookstores nationwide on December 30th, 2014.
Here is a sneak peek of what’s inside the devotional book!
I feel so incredibly blessed and excited to share these books with you guys! I pray they are a blessing to everyone that reads them! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all of your support! I couldn’t have done it without the Lord, and all of the encouragement from you guys! xo Katie