In my new book Nourish, I talk about how making small simple changes over time results in a lifestyle change that will last. One of the first steps that I recommend is cleaning out your pantry, and restocking it with foods that nourish our bodies. Here are three tips to get you started today!
1. Clean out and organize your pantry, fridge, and freezer.
- Replace white or whole wheat pasta with vegetable swap outs, such as spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles, or quinoa or lentil-based pasta.
- Replace oil or butter with Greek yogurt or unsweetened applesauce.
- Replace processed snacks, such as chips or crackers with low-sugar snacks with a balance of whole grains, healthy fat, and protein, such as low fat Greek yogurt with berries, fruit with nut butter or string cheese, or vegetables and hummus.
2. Clean out and organize your spices and kitchen drawers.
- Get rid of old spices, or spices you don’t use, and create a clean organized space for your spices.
- Replace seasonings with added preservatives and GMO’s for organic or homemade seasoning mixtures.
3. Clean out and organize your baking staples.
- Replace white or whole wheat flour with oat flour, coconut flour, or almond flour.
- Replace white table sugar with an unprocessed option, such as coconut sugar, stevia, pure maple syrup, honey, or agave syrup.
- Be sure baking staples are in tightly sealed and organized labeled containers.