Whether you are looking for a healthier holiday treat to bring to a party, or you want something delicious and healthy to enjoy with your family, here are 25 of my favorite Christmas treats that are just as good for you as they taste!
Add Leftover Turkey and Veggies to any of these Dishes. Simply Swap Out Shredded Chicken for Turkey!
This year, I tried a new “strategy” to tackle school lunches. It’s worked so well I thought I’d share it with you. My son is in second grade, so I felt like he was ready to start taking over his own lunch packing. I knew though that in order for it to be a positive and joyful experience for both of us, I needed to have a plan that we could stick to. I wanted it to be easy, quick, fun and healthy. Not only was this a chance to hand over an age appropriate responsibility, but also an opportunity to begin teaching him early how important it is to make food choices that nourish and fuel his body well – train up a child in the way he should go and he will not depart from it!
Here are a few tips that I find help make this successful:
1. Designate a place in the pantry and refrigerator just lunch items. I’ve found that this eliminates any need for me to “monitor” his choices, makes it easy for him, and helps the prepared lunch choices to last longer since no one else is using it for grab n’ go.
2. Prepare and stock up ahead of time! I need to restock the lunch choices every two weeks or so. Some foods last longer than others, but for the most part about an hour of work in preparation lasts nearly two weeks.
3. Buy in bulk and split into small portions. I purchase many of our lunch items from Costco in large quantities, and then on food prep day, I split them into snack size portions, and freeze additional items for the following month.
4. Freeze! The freezer is such an asset to help prevent wasted food and to cut down on prep time. You can freeze so many things! One of the things I do that has been super helpful is to make a couple dozen nut butter and jelly/or honey sandwiches, portioned into sandwich bags and kept frozen. They freeze beautifully and by lunch time it’s perfect for eating. I also do this with muffins, homemade granola bars, and most any of Katie’s baked goods.
5. The rules? Because I’ve pre-prepared a selection of healthy choices, I can really be hands-off and he loves that! I’ve found that he really enjoys the freedom to choose what he wants to eat each day and totally loves that responsibility! The only rule is that he has to include one vegetable selection, the rest is up to him!
Here are a few ideas of the foods I’ve offered to help get you started:
Football season is officially upon us- which means it is also officially time for Game Day Recipes! Here are some of my healthy alternatives that are sure to impress the crowd at your next tailgate!
|Main Dish||Side Dish||Healthy Treat|
|Mini Mexican Pizzas||Baked Sweet Potato Wedges||S'Mores Granola|
|Easy Cheesy Burritos||Easy Cheesy Broccoli Soup||Chocolate Chunk Muffins|
|Ham & Cheese Quesadilla||Mini Cauliflower Pizza Bites||Banana Bread Muffins|
|Bacon Chicken Salad||Creamy Tomato Soup||Almond Joy Granola|
|Turkey Apple Quesadilla||Skinny Easy Mac||Skinny Puppy Chow|
|Parmesan Chicken Wrap||Honey Parmesan Chickpeas||Chocolate Fruit Dip|
|Black Bean & Corn Quesadilla||Zucchini Chips||Healthy Rice Crispy Treats|
|Mini Deep Dish Pizzas||Green Bean Fries||Grain Free Donuts|
|Honey Parmesan Chicken Poppers||Baked Pita Snackers||Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies|
|Store Bought Meals:|
-PB&J on Whole Grain Bread
-Hard Boil Eggs
-Turkey Hummus Wrap
-Soup with Chicken
-Grilled Chicken Strips
|Store Bought Sides:|
-Fresh Fruit & Veggies
-String Cheese or Cheese Shapes
-Baby Carrots w/Hummus
|Store Bought Treats:
-No Sugar Added Granola Bars
-Homemade Trail Mix
If you are gearing up to get your kids back into a back-to-school routine, then chances are you have thought about quick and easy ways to get them fed on those busy mornings! If that sounds familiar, I have just the recipes for you! All of these recipes are quick, easy to make, and healthy. I categorized them into “Make Ahead” and “5-10 Minute Prep” so you can choose if you want to plan ahead so you can grab and go, or make a warm fresh breakfast in just 5-10 minutes on the day of. Enjoy!
Grain Free Peanut Butter Muffins
I hope this helps you and your family prepare a healthy breakfast, even on the busiest of mornings!