1. Don’t be Fooled: Just because a label says ‘fun size‘ on it, doesn’t mean that it comes with a miniature amount of calories and sugar! For example, just one ‘fun size‘ Butterfingers bar has 100 calories and 10 grams of sugar! Almost all of the most popular ‘fun size’ candy bars have between 80-110 calories and 8-15 grams of sugar each!
2. Get Rid of Temptation: If temptation comes at you in the form of a little orange, brown, or yellow packet, (yeah…you know what I’m talking about), there is one simple way to put an end to the ‘drawing in’ of a sweet little treat. How do we get rid of temptation once and for all? Get it out of the house, off of your desk at work, or wherever candy may haunting you. If your kids just went trick or treating, you can allow them to choose a few of their favorites, then get rid of the rest. You could either donate it, give it away, or simply toss it! It’s simple: If you don’t have it around then you (and your kids…who also don’t need the sugar) won’t be tempted by it!
3. Swap Out Your Favorites: If you simply must have a Peanut Butter Cup, then simply swap it out for a healthier alternative! That is truly what Dashing Dish is all about…Not giving up your favorite foods and treats, but rather swapping them out for alternatives that are just as tasty (and don’t send you into a sugar slump!) Speaking of… I have a healthy PB cup recipe coming next week!
4. Don’t Buy Candy to Give Away: Going back to point #2, if you have candy in the house to ‘give away’ you most likely will be tempted by it. In addition, do you really want to add to the bag of ‘junk’ that those cute little kids are carting around!?! Instead, get creative, give non-edible ‘treats’ such as pencils or erasers (hey, it may sound lame to you, but my sister who is a 3rd grade teachers says those things go like hot cakes in her goody bin!) Or you could give away a healthier treat, such as 100% fruit leathers.
5. Bring Treats to Pass at Parties: It’s that time of year…From now until January 1st there will be holiday party galore!!! Parties are comprised of three main things: fun, socializing, and FOOD! There is no way around it, holiday parties often bombard you with all sorts of treats that look oh so tasty! The best way to deal with the ever present temptation from Trick or Treat to Happy New Year!?! Bring your own dish to pass! It really is that simple. I bring a dish, a dessert, or sometimes both to every party I go to, so that way I know there is going to be a healthy option for myself and friends to enjoy! This is one of the most simple ways to combat the all too common holiday weight gain. (With that, I must say, I personally always enjoy a few of my very favorite (full fat-full sugar) treats during the holidays, but I keep it to a reasonable portion, and when I do, I make sure I truly enjoy every bite!)
One of my primary goals with Dashing Dish recipes is to keep the recipes simple, quick, and made with a few basic ingredients that most people have on hand…All while being delicious and using ‘clean’ (not processed) ingredients!
With these foods on hand, you are just about guaranteed to be able to almost any recipe on Dashing Dish! Hope it helps keep you organized and prepared to whip together a DD creation any time of day! To find out where I get some of my products, check out my “Favorite Products” page!
Lean Ground Turkey or Beef
Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
Beans (Garbanzo Beans, Black Beans, Kidney Beans, White Beans)
Protein Powder (I like Designer Whey- Vanilla Flavor)
Low Fat Cottage Cheese
Plain Lowfat Greek Yogurt
Unsweetened Almond Milk (or low fat/skim milk)
Cheese (Grated Parmesan, Thin Sliced or 2% Shredded Cheddar, Feta, Thin Sliced Swiss)
Ezekiel Bread/Whole Grain Bread
Low Carb /High Fiber Wraps
Quinoa/Whole Grain Rice
Old Fashioned Oats (use gluten free if sensitive)
Oat Flour (Made from Old Fashioned Oats Ground in a Blender/Food Processor)
Almonds/Almond Flour (Made from Almond Ground in a Blender/Food Processor)
Peanut Flour (aka PB2)
Occasionally: Coconut Flour
Broccoli, Onions, Spinach, Cauliflower, Sweet Potatoes, Lettuce, Bell Peppers, Corn
Zucchini, Summer Squash
Spaghetti Squash, Butternut Squash, Pumpkin
Tomatoes, Berries, Avocado, Bananas, Apples, Unsweetened Applesauce
Onion Powder/Dried Minced Onion
Minced Garlic/Garlic Powder
Italian Seasoning (or basil/oregano)
Taco Seasoning (or cumin, chili seasoning and salt)
Pumpkin/Apple Pie Spice (in the fall mostly)
Stevia (Baking or Packets)
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
Honey/Low Sugar Maple Syrup
Low Sugar Ketchup
White Vinegar/Rice Vinegar/Red Wine Vinegar
Occasionally: Tru Whip (in desserts)
Fourth of July is a time to Celebrate! This celebration takes place to observe our nations freedom, and to honor the awesome men and women that serve our country!
I don’t know about you, but this celebration always seems to revolve around the outdoors and the wonderful food that is best during the sweet summer time…Which means grilling and all things BBQ of course! Here are a few ideas to get your holiday cook-off started!
There is a lot of talk about ‘Clean Eating’ these days…And I don’t know about you, but when I first heard these words, I was wondering what all the ‘buzz’ was about! I was pretty excited when I started learning more about clean eating, as I came to find out that about 90% of my recipes fall into the category of clean eating without me even knowing it! Yippee!
Because clean eating has become pretty popular these days, I have decided to discuss it further to shed some light on the topic! (Keep in mind, I don’t claim to be an expert…Just did my fair share of research, and thought I’d share my findings and my point of view!)
In a nutshell, clean eating is just a simple way of talking about a way of eating, (not a diet or short term thing, but more like a lifestyle). This way of eating incorporates whole foods that are unprocessed, don’t have chemicals added to them. Simply put, any food that has been stripped of all nutrient value by man, and injected with a bunch of chemicals is not considered ‘clean’.
You may have noticed that most of my recipes are listed as ’Clean Eating’, which again simply means that I use foods in their most natural state, and don’t include any processed ingredients. One example of this is that I use whole grain oats in my baked goods rather than white or whole wheat flour, (which is essentially a whole grain that has beens stripped of it’s nutrition in a factory).
There are many benefits to ‘clean eating’… Some of the most common being weight loss, increased energy, and improved digestion just to name a few!
So, if this sounds like something of interest to you, you may be wondering how to get started!?! Well, to start here are a few basic choices from each food group that are considered ‘clean’ to start you off:
These are some of the clean eating foods that can be found in most Dashing Dish recipes, which can be found under the ‘Clean Eating’ tab under recipes!
Christmas breakfast is unquestionably one of the most celebrated meals enjoyed by families all over the country! Enjoy a healthier alternative to the most craved breakfast foods with some of these popular Dashing Dish breakfast recipes!
*I starred some of the recipes that I will personally be making this year!
Need Inspiration? Check out the ‘Kid Friendly Recipes’ section of Dashing Dish!
Hello Zucchini & Squash Season! If you have zucchini and squash in abundance right now, you are not alone! Check out these zucchini I just recently received from a friend!
Well, if your anything like me, you’re already thinking up what you’ll be serving (or bringing) to your Thanksgiving table! I thought I’d share the list of our Thanksgiving dishes with you. Who knows… maybe it will inspire you to make something new! And look closely…. some of the items on the list are coming to a Dashing Dish this week! (DD recipes that is!)
I’ve found that it’s the little thing that have really helped me enjoy and continue on my journey to healthy living! As a way of saying THANK YOU to all of the amazing people that support Dashing Dish, I would like to share a few of these ‘little pleasures’ that have made living a healthy lifestyle all the more enjoyable!
Three Winners Will Receive:
To enter this giveaway you could do one of two things:
Then leave a comment here saying that you did!
Winners will be announced on August 9, 2001~ which is one week from today! Good Luck and Thank You again for all your love and support!!!